Monday, November 19, 2007

Re-engineered my arse

At 6:25 tonight I could have told you that the 6:30 to Paddington wouldn't get very far. I'm no engineer, but even I can tell that diesel engines aren't supposed to sound like 300 tins of beans in an industrial washing machine.

And lo and behold, we make it to just outside Chippenham when the damn thing expires. The driver is "looking into it" - presumably "it" being a crater full of engine parts splashed liberally with diesel, but probably no oil as that was likely the problem in the first place. So the newly "re-engineered" power cars are really improving reliability, aren't they? Thought not.

1 comment:

UKTrainMan said...

That's the new "MTU" engines for you...so reliable that, erm, they keep on failing (they're from Germany by the way). Even today I saw a failed HST with an MTU engine inside having to be hauled by a diesel powered rescue locomotive, presumably due to another failure of this new supposedly amazing engine. Regrettably I cannot say that the aforementioned HST was FGWs as it was National Express East Coast.