Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Give up your seats

I've been roundly chastised recently for the tone of my rants implying that I am aiming my wrath directly at the Third Rate Western frontline staff, when of course I'm aware that the vast majority of problems are caused by poor management decisions of epic proportions.

However, what is not acceptable is for a train to be at standing-room-only point, with all vestibules full of people, and for 4 Third Rate Western staff to be happily occupying 4 seats and having a nice chat and a coffee on their way, one presumes, to a training course in Bristol. There doesn't need to be a management edict to ensure that staff give up their seats when customers are standing (although I believe there is already a rule governing this) - it's simple good manners and all staff should understand that the customer comes first.

I think it's akin to having a client in the office and only one teabag left. You might really want a brew, but the paying customer has to take priority, surely?

2 comments:

UKTrainMan said...

I can only presume you know for certain that they are actually genuine staff...in which case I can only presume that they would be travelling on their staff passes? If so then they are officially required to give up their seats for fare paying passengers -- particularly if the train in question is busy and some passengers are standing. I'm sure a quiet word with a member of staff working on-board the train (guard, train manager, etc) would suffice....

unfarepayingpassenger said...

Yes I believe that this is covered under atoc staff travel rules. I did ask atoc to clarify but they didn't reply.
www.atoc.org